Monday, January 25, 2016

They Disappeared Together


She had come to meet him, though she didn't know his name. Tall, dark, and handsome said the note. Yeah, right, like she was falling for that one again.

Still, there was something about his penmanship that told her he might not be lying. This, alas, was one of her blind spots. The ability to see things that weren't there hadn't often helped her in life, but she knew no other way.

Then he appeared, literally out of thin air. An apparition looking for appetizers in all the wrong places.

“Hello,” he said, head tilted, lips curled upward into a smile, “my name is not important.”

“What a strange name,” she said, extending her hand, which passed right through him.

“What a terrible opening line,” he replied. “Also, I apologize for not shaking your hand, but it is impossible as I am not a corporeal being.”

Ah, that would explain the penmanship.

“Yes, well, not all of us can be witty on the first try. Give me time, I'll get better.”

She had to admit, he was tall, dark, and handsome.

“I've got all the time in the world.” Then, looking around, “where are we anyway?”

And dead. He was also dead, or at least not alive in any sense she understood.

“You picked the place,” she said, “don't you remember?”

He chuckled. “So I did. I had forgotten that part. An unfortunate consequence of my... condition.”

“I'd buy you a drink, but I'm guessing your condition keeps you from that as well.”

“Very astute. And you are getting better. You weren't lying after all.”

“Neither were you,” she said, raising an imaginary glass as they disappeared together into the thin air from which he had come.

No comments:

Post a Comment