Thursday, May 5, 2016

She Took Me by Surprise


I recently attended a writers' group as part of a panel to discuss creativity and the Internet. It was cool because of the people involved. Sharing ideas with folks who are trying to achieve similar goals and encountering similar obstacles along the way reminded me that I'm not alone. The conversation was lively and inspiring.

Before the panel, though, everyone had two hours to write in a room filled with ambient music to help get the words flowing. Writing with others present was a twist on my usual routine and turned out to be surprisingly productive. I started two pieces that may or may not turn into anything.

The first was an anecdote about when I went to Oregon not long after Mt. St. Helens erupted to visit a cousin in Portland and also a friend of mine from grade school who had moved to a small town 100 or so miles south of there. That friend and I spent a week or two just doing kid stuff that summer.

One of our activities involved hitting small rocks with pieces of wood. It sounds boring, but in my memory we had a blast doing it. I met a girl, of course. We wrote letters for a while, as one did in those days, and then stopped. I still remember her. Maybe she remembers me, maybe not.

The second was written from the point of view of a character in a novel I'm working on. I wanted to understand her better. I succeeded in that regard but now think she needs more of a voice in the story.

It's funny what happens when you let people talk. Sometimes they say things that grab you and make you want to know more. This character did that to me. She took me by surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment